Child Safety 101: Keeping Your Home Safe for Wandering Little Ones
Every parent has one goal — to keep their child safe. Unfortunately, children often have other goals in mind, like climb that box, grab that handle, and pull that string. While you may not be able to protect your little one from every threat out there, baby proofing your home is a great way to prevent everything from bumps and scrapes to serious injuries.
Making Your Home Safe for Little Ones
- Install safety gates. Even before your little one can crawl, safety gates are a must-have ahead of stairs. They can also be good to have before more dangerous rooms, like the kitchen.
- Lock your cabinets. If you now have a wandering toddler in your midst, it’s so important to lock any cabinets they can reach. Not only can the door itself hurt their heads, hands, and fingers, but they can also ingest chemicals or food stored inside the cabinet.
- Secure large furniture to the wall. Especially if your little one likes to explore, all large furniture should be bolted to the wall to prevent it from tipping over in the event your child tries to climb it or if there’s a natural disaster.
- Choose cordless window treatments. Ideally, every window should be adorned with cordless treatments if children younger than 13 live in your home. However, children’s bedrooms are the number one place where cordless or motorized blinds should live.
- Pull furniture away from the window. Even if your window coverings are motorized, you should always move cribs, beds, or anything else that can be climbed away from the window to prevent children from getting caught in the treatments.
Window Cords and Child Safety
When it comes to baby proofing, most parents know to plug outlets and cover sharp corners, but very few parents realize that a far more threatening danger is lurking in their living room. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, every month, one child between ages 7 months and 10 years dies from window cord strangulation.
With cord window treatments being named one of the top five hidden hazards in the home, so many parents don’t even realize the potential danger of cords or that there are safer options out there.
Motorization is not only convenient and programmable, but it’s the safest choice currently on the market for homes with small children as it completely eliminates the need for potentially dangerous cords.
At Gotcha Covered, we pledge to do so much more than just help you find window treatments you’ll love. With high-quality products and services that will exceed your expectations and add beauty and safety to your environment, we’ll help you create the space of your (and your children’s) dreams!