Planning a renovation or just in the mood to change up the feel of your home? Why not update the biggest, most attention-grabbing feature of any room — the windows! Window treatments are one of the few elements of a home that are both beautiful and functional. But with so many options on the market today, it can be hard finding a treatment that fits your style, budget, and needs.
Lucky for you, that’s where we come in!
Blinds vs. Shades: What’s the Difference?
People tend to use the two words interchangeably, but blinds and shades are actually pretty different.
Blinds are considered “hard” window treatments. A blinds’ hard, individual slats can be easily adjusted to different heights and angles throughout the day.
Shades, on the other hand, can be thought of as more delicate window treatments. Shades are made from fabrics that can be adjusted either mechanically or via a pull cord.
Now that we’ve got the basics covered, it’s time to find out which option is best for your home and needs.
Which is Best for Your Home?
When it comes down to it, most people simply prefer the look of one treatment over another. Some homeowners enjoy the structure of blinds, while others love the soft nature of shades. That being said, each one also comes with an enticing list of additional functionalities
Benefits of Choosing Blinds
- Easy to clean with just a soft cloth.
- Offer plenty of light control.
- Come in a variety of styles, patterns, and colors.
- Available in a number of materials, including wood, faux wood, plastic, bamboo, and aluminum.
- Provide complete privacy, if desired.
- Can be motorized in a tilt option.
Benefits of Choosing Shades:
- Easy to use.
- Allow you to control the amount of sun and light let into a room.
- Can be motorized, which is ideal for homes with children or pets.
- Shades soften the look of a room.
- A wide variety of color options.
- Available in an assortment of fabric types and styles, suited for all budgets and designs.
Whether you’re ready to get started on a renovation ASAP or you still need to do a little exploring, visit our idea gallery for design inspiration!
Find a Gotcha Covered location near you.
About the Author: Brooke Carr, Gotcha Covered
Brooke joined the Gotcha Covered family in 2018 as the Social Media Coordinator. She works closely with our corporate teams and our Gotcha Covered franchisees to develop insightful and helpful content for our brand.